A popular friut which can be eaten straight from the bush or used in cooking,
It must have acid conditions therefore it needs to be grown in ericaecous compost.
They prefer a sunny site but will tolerate shade.
- Plant in ericaecous soil between autumn and spring.
- Plant as a free stanging bush 1.5m/5ft apart.
- Do not allow the plant to dry out, water regularly.
- Fruit appears on 2nd or 3rd year wood, so do not prune until cropping starts.
- After that, cut out any dead or weak wood and then remove up to a third of the oldest wood to promote new growth.
- Prune in winter or early spring.
- Pick as the fruit ripens, they can be frozen or bottled.